March 22, 2013

Blessed


I had the opportunity to take the teens from our church to a play at another church in the area.  It started earlier than our regular church time, so when it was over, we went back to our home church.  We were late, so when we pulled in the parking lot and started walking to the door, I heard a sound that I’ve heard my entire life:  my dad preaching from the pulpit.  That sound is one that I know so well…I’ve heard it every week for 30 years.  My heard immediately swelled and I felt proud that not only was that my pastor, that was my dad.  The one who has preached to (and sometimes AT, lol) my sister and me on Sundays, but been a dad to us at home.  The one who has been our biggest spiritual cheerleader and calls us out to testify, lol.  The one who lives his life parallel to what he preaches.  The one who has lived his own convictions but never forced them on us, only encouraged us to find our own.

     Then we walked in and as I found a seat, I looked around at the group of people there.  People that are closer to me than family.  People that have seen me cry, laugh, shared my pain, helped carry my burdens, and lifted me to the feet of Jesus in prayer.  People I could call at any time in any situation and know that they would hit their knees.  People whose lives I knew outside the walls of that church building and I know that they are the same in everyday life that they are on Sundays and Wednesdays.  People that share the same goal I do:  to make it to Heaven.

     I felt so overwhelmed, and in a good way.  I love my church family.  They mean so much to me.  As a “pastor’s family” we’ve heard people time and time again, say that we have the “perfect family”, the “perfect life”, and the “perfect church”.  When in reality, we’ve had our share of troubles and hard times in our family, personal lives, and church, just like everyone does.  Nobody is perfect, but one thing I won’t do, is hesitate or step around the fact that we’re blessed.  We’ve been a “blessed family”, had a “blessed life”, and we’re a part of a “blessed church”.  The Lord doesn’t expect perfect, but I believe He does expect us to realize that we’re blessed.

     If you have a church family, really take notice of what they mean to you.  Thank the Lord for blessing you with them.  Lift them up in prayer, because they do you.  And give their hand an extra shake or hug them a little tighter next time you're together.  They truly are God’s blessings for you…and no, I’m sure they’re not perfect either, but one thing in common…they’re blessed, too.

 

“There is one body, and one spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;  One Lord, one faith…”

Ephesians 4:4 – 5  KJV