April 19, 2013

Breakfast on the Beach


There’s a verse in the Bible where Jesus says to His disciples, “Come and have breakfast.”   I love this verse:  I’m not sure if it’s because of the symbolism or just the fact that I do love breakfast! 

The disciples had been fishing all night and morning and caught nothing.  They probably went out to spots where they had caught fish before.  Places they thought they would surely find a nice catch.  You see they had a plan.  But their plan wasn’t going as they hoped…they hadn’t caught anything.  While they were probably getting frustrated and losing hope, there was a stranger standing on the shore.  They were too involved in their agenda that they didn’t notice Him.  Even when He called out to them and they finally noticed Him, they still didn’t realize that it was Jesus.

He told them to throw their nets out from the other side.  I can imagine that they thought it was useless but what harm would it do?  When they threw their own plans out and did what the stranger on the beach said, they were barely able to keep hold of their nets:  they had more fish than humanly possible and immediately they knew that the stranger on the beach was Jesus.  After they figured out who He was, He called to them to come in and spend time with Him…to “come and have breakfast”.

That’s like life sometimes.  I have plans and agendas, but when nothing comes of it, I get stressed.  I’m wrapped up in my own plans that I don’t notice the Lord standing on the beach giving me advice until I’m ready to quit.  When I finally listen to that stranger on the beach I get more blessings than I’m able to handle and I immediately know that they came from Jesus.  He had been standing there all along, just waiting on me to listen to Him.  And sometimes, that stranger on the beach is just simply asking for me to “come and have breakfast”.     

 

Jesus said to them, “Come and have breakfast.”

None of the disciples dared ask him, “Who are you?”

They knew it was the Lord.

John 21:12  NIV