May 5, 2013

Just Pile Up the Yucky Stuff!

        I decided one night that I was going to have a delicious dinner waiting on John when he got off work and came to my house.  I worked and worked and it was smelling pretty good, if I do say so myself.  I was pretty confident that everything was going to be great!  That was about the end of my confidence and excitement…because he took the first bite. 
I could tell out of the corner of my eye that something wasn’t right, so I looked at him and he was pulling a little bone out of his mouth and making an awful face.  I said (or maybe shouted) “Where did that come from???”  (I fixed chicken breast, which last time I checked, had no bones, lol)  He was obviously grossed out by it, and so was I, so we decided that we’d just eat the other stuff.  Well, the potatoes were not done and the rice tasted funny.  Determined not to hurt my feelings, he kept eating while I decided I was not eating another bite…I was discouraged and to be honest, still a little grossed out by the chicken, lol.  I gathered everything up and dumped it into one big, yucky, bitter pile and said I was throwing it out.  I made the comment “what a waste of time”.
I thought about that later and the thought dawned on me that sin is like that.  We think it’s going to be great, but in the end it leaves a bad taste.  It doesn’t sit well in our hearts.  But then the Lord comes along and wants to clean us up.  He doesn’t make us go through our sin one by one by one…He allows us, and wants us, to just dump them into one big pile and get rid of them!  He doesn’t care that the pile may be big and stinky.  He just wants us to give it to Him…He’ll sort it out, forgive us, and then throw it away. 
John and I ended up getting a pizza and I told him that Giovanni’s never gets it wrong.  What a waste of time when we are in sin, because there’s One who NEVER gets it wrong.  And the One is just waiting on you to decide you’ve had enough of the yucky stuff and just taste of Him…just like Giovanni’s, He’s tried and true and you’ll go away full and satisfied!    

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9 KJV