January 28, 2014

“A Moment of Weakness”

        We all know the story of Thomas.  A man whose life has been summed up by his weakest moment:  a moment of doubt.  And while most people don’t strive to be like him, we all have our moments.  I’m not downplaying his lapse in faith.  But it’s part of human nature.  We all doubt sometimes.  When we don’t get answers to prayers or when life get difficult and we feel our weakest, doubt settles within us. 
        Thomas’ questions didn’t mean that he didn’t love Jesus or that he was turning away from Him.  It was just a moment of weakness.  A moment of weakness that I can relate to.  All Thomas wanted was proof.  He wanted tangible evidence that the Lord was there and that He was who He said He was.  Don’t we all look for that?  Don’t we all sometimes need a little reassurance of those things? 
        Thomas was lucky…he was able to physically touch the Lord and see the scars.  We don’t have that opportunity.  But when I start letting doubt set in and I start looking for proof, it doesn’t take long to find evidence.  I see my husband and family…it’s proof that He’s God.  I see my church family worshipping together…it’s proof that He’s God.  I see someone accept Him into their hearts…it’s proof that He’s God.  I see my sweet little Sunday School class…it’s proof that He’s God.  I see how my path has been meticulously guided…it’s proof that He’s God. 
        I can relate to Thomas.  But I don’t have to look too hard or too far to see past my doubt and, like Thomas, I can proclaim, “My Lord and my God!”

But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.  The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.  And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.”

John 20:24-28  KJV