March 25, 2014

Giving Up on “Easy”


“For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!”

2 Corinthians 4:17

 

This was the verse I needed after a rough couple of weeks.  My sweet, patient husband reminded me that “God has a plan for us.” And my response was, “I know but it doesn’t make it any easier right now.”  I didn’t want a plan…I wanted easy.  I didn’t want a fight…I wanted easy.  I didn’t want an uphill climb…I wanted easy.  I didn’t want unknowns…I wanted easy.  I wanted the kind of easy that other people seemed to have and not even realize it.  I felt entitled to easy. 

          Sitting in church on Sunday, I replayed our conversation back.  Then it hit me that I’m not entitled to easy.  He didn’t promise easy…He promised to show up when things got hard.  He didn’t promise easy…He promised to help carry our burdens.  He didn’t promise easy…He promised to stand on the battlefield beside us. 

          This is part of the song we sing at church by the Crabb Family:

So many times I question the certain circumstances of things I could not understand.
And many times in trials, my weakness blurs my vision, and my frustration gets so out of hand.
It's then I am reminded, I've never been forsaken.
I've never had to stand one test alone.
When I look at all the victories, the Spirit rises up in me.
It's through the fire my weakness is made strong.


He never promised that the cross would not get heavy and the hill would not be hard to climb.
He never offered victories without fighting but He said help would always come in time.
Just remember when you're standing in the valley of decision and the adversary says give in,   Just hold on.
Our Lord will show up
and He will take you through the fire again!

            So right now, I’m going to trust His promises, even though they don’t always include “easy”.  I’m holding on, knowing that he’ll show up.  I know that the tougher the trial the more His glory shines and so for right now, I’m okay with giving up on easy.