July 28, 2012

“Honey Can You Just NOT See the Light???”

         Last year I had to renew my driver’s license…ugh…yes, I have a big head and no matter how far back I scoot in the seat, my face still fills the ENTIRE picture box on the card!  Anyways, I went to the ever-friendly and welcoming (yes, that’s sarcasm) DMV and waited my turn.  When it was finally my time to do the eye test I listened closely to the directions:  read whatever line the lady told me to and also look for a blinking light on the sides and let her know when I saw it.  Simple enough.  Or so I thought. 
The woman began telling me what lines to read and I would, but I totally forgot about the blinking light.  Yes, I saw it, but I forgot tell her when it popped up.  The lady stopped the test, reminded me, and we started over.  Same results…I forgot.  This process went on a few more times and finally she, very frustrated, said, “Honey, can you just NOT see the light?????”  I said that yes I could, but I kept forgetting.  She said we would do it one more time.  By this time, I was so on edge that whenever I would see the light, I would jump around, wave my arms and shout, “light on the left!” or “light on the right!”.  I guess that’s not how most people do it…I realized this when I stepped back and noticed a small audience that had gathered.  Lol
        I feel like sometimes I do what I feel the Lord has told me to do, but it’s just mundane tasks.  I go through the motions of serving Him, but I fail to notice the reminders of His goodness.  I teach the Sunday School class, but often fail to notice their happy smiles, laughter and precious open hearts.  I sing hymns in church, but fail to hear the praises actually being lifted up.  I read my Bible, but fail to understand it’s connection to my life.  I pray, but fail to thank Him for His blessings.  The list could go on and on.  When I actually sit down and think about it, all those reminders are like the little blinking light and the DMV.  I think it’s God’s way of saying, “Amy, can you just NOT see my ‘light’?” 
        I pray for my own heart the ability to never overlook the blessings that are blinking right in front in me.  I want to get excited and jump around and wave my hands and shout, “I see the light…I see your goodness!!!”

“…there shall be showers of blessing.”
Ezekiel 34:26