August 19, 2012

My Name Should Be on the List…

              It was time for attendance several years ago in my classroom.  I read through the roster of my brand new class for the year, each little boy or girl saying, “here” when they heard their name.  I closed the program on my computer and started to get up when I noticed a little girl sobbing, uncontrollably.  I called her by name and she came to my desk.  When I asked her what the matter was, she answered by saying, “You didn’t say my name.  It should be on the list, I know you; you’re my teacher.  I don’t want to go to a different class.”  I pulled the scared little girl onto my lap and hugged her; assuring her that she wouldn’t have to leave, she was in the right room, and she was right - I was her teacher.  It must have been a computer glitch.
            While I hugged the shaking little girl, tears instantly filled my eyes.  I never want to be standing in front of the Lord at His roll call on judgment day and not hear my name.  I cannot imagine telling Him, “You didn’t say my name.  It should be on the list, I know you; you’re my God.  I don’t want to go to Hell.”  I begged the Lord to search my heart completely in that very moment at my desk.  I felt Him put His loving arms around this scared trembling girl and whisper in my ear, “You can stay…your name was written many years ago on my list.  You’re right…I am your God.”


“And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
Revelation 20: 15 KJV