November 25, 2012

We Need to Talk

       There’s a little boy in my class who is new this year.  In his 6 years, he’s had many challenges and faces more every day, challenges physically, developmentally, and academically.  It doesn’t matter what we are doing, I could be up front teaching, we could be working at our desks, etc., but this little boy often times jumps out of his seat and runs up to me.  He only comes up to my stomach, so he’ll look up at me and say, “Miss Clock,” (Yes, he calls me “Miss Clock”…lol…we haven’t mastered my name yet, but hey, it’s a step up from “teacher”!  J)  “We need talk.”  I’ll say okay and as what he wants to talk about.  In his broken, slurred, barely understandable voice, he’ll say, “I wuv you!”  And look up at me with the biggest smile, waiting on the reassurance that yes, I love him too.
        I thought about that sweet little boy, who in most people’s eyes and in most situations seems simple.  But when he stands looking up at me with that huge, lopsided grin, there couldn’t be more love in my heart for him. 
        I’ve learned a lesson from that little guy.  I’ve made it a point that whenever I think about, I turn my eyes toward Heaven and say, “Lord, we need to talk.  I love you.”  The Lord never sees me as the plain girl I am…He sees the girl He died for and that’s more love than any of us could ever imagine.  I can always feel the reassurance that yes, He loves me too.  When’s the last time you “needed to talk” to the Lord?


“And thou shalt love the LORD thy God
with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with
all thy might.”
Deuteronomy 6:5 KJV