June 2, 2013

“Presenting Ourselves to the King”



I’m nowhere close to a “fashionista”, and never have claimed to be, but I like clothes.  I like getting dressed and wearing makeup and fixing my hair.  I like to feel presentable when I go places.  I’ve never been more aware of my appearance though, than for my wedding. 

Months have gone into picking just the right dress.  Finding the perfect shoes and jewelry to compliment it.  Choosing a veil that looks good with the dress.  Going for trial runs for my hair.  Choosing the perfect shade of lipstick.  And the list goes on.  This was the most important day:  the day I would present myself, not only to 200 friends and family members, but to my husband, and God.  I thought about how anxious I was and how my eye focused on every tiny detail, because I was on show…I was scheduled to be center of attention(which I’m not always too fond of, lol). 

My mind wandered to Queen Esther.  How she must have felt when she prepared  herself to go before, not before a crowd of people, but simply one man…the King.  How she must have spent time carefully choosing the right outfit and making sure that not one tiny detail of her appearance was left undone.  She was presenting herself to the King.

Every day, we present ourselves to the King.  He’s not just any old King, but He’s the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.  Our Savior and Redeemer.  It does us no good to only care about our outward appearance when we go before Him.  He cares about what’s in our hearts.  Just as we put time and effort into our appearance for big events, we should use the same energy on our hearts when we present ourselves to Him.  Hopefully, we’ve spent enough time working our hearts that when the King sees us standing before Him, He is pleased.


“On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king’s hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne in the hall, facing the entrance. 2 When he saw Queen Esther standing in the court, he was pleased with her…”

Ester 5:1-2  NIV