June 9, 2013

Just Stand

      A couple weeks ago, I was driving along and came upon a bird that standing in the middle of the road.  I kept on going, assuming it would move, but when I got closer to it, it seemed to hunker down and brace itself.  It sort of puffed out its chest, pulled its wings in real tight, and waited:  anticipating the rush of wind from my passing car.  I passed the bird, swerving a little so I wouldn’t hit it, and looked back in my rearview mirror.  The bird was still standing in the center of the road.  It was obviously hurt or something was wrong, or else it would have flown away before my car passed it. 
      Immediately it came to my mind what I’ve heard my dad say a million times when preaching…when you’ve done all you can do and can’t do anymore, just stand.  Just like that little bird, rushing winds pass us by in life: winds that try to blow us here or there.  We are already down for the count…something was said that hurt us, we lost a few steps with the Lord, or whatever else causes us to feel low.  It’s in those times that we have to just brace ourselves and simply stand.  Sure, we’ll feel the rushing wind around us, and it might rock us a little, but we just have to stand.
      I'm not really the avid "bird watcher", but I was so blessed by the little bird and I’ve thought a lot about it since.  During trying times, sure we all pray that we can walk away or fly, but sometimes the Lord doesn’t answer our prayer that way.  Sometimes He merely provides us with enough strength just to stand.  And in that moment, it’s enough.

“ You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you…”

2 Chronicles 20:17  NIV