August 3, 2013

Pebbles in My Pocket

         I have a jacket that I keep at school for recess duty.  It’s not my best jacket, but it is the warmest and it gets COLD out there!  Several years ago, I had a little boy in my classroom who loved nature.  He loved finding things and had so much knowledge about animals and “outdoorsy” things.  He could see beauty in things I couldn’t…things like snakes and frogs and toads, OH MY!  Lol  Anyways, one day at recess he came over to me with a handful of small pebbles or rocks from our playground.  He was so excited about the treasures he had in his little dirt covered hands!  He was very animated in telling me about the rocks, how hard and how far he had to dig, and asking which one was my favorite.  I chose 2 favorites:  one that was white and a little glittery (imagine that…I picked the glitter!  J) and one that was a pretty shade of green and really smooth, but yet jagged.  He eagerly handed me the rocks…giving me his treasure to keep for my own.  I put the rocks in my pocket and went on with recess.

          To any other kid on the playground they were just rocks.  To me, they were just rocks.  But to that sweet little boy, they were small treasures, rewards from his hard work of searching and digging.  I like to think that we are Jesus’ little rocks.  To the world, I’m just another girl.  You are just another man or woman.  There are millions more like us in the world.  But when God looks down, He doesn’t see our simplicity.  He sees His treasures.  He takes a closer look and sees the jaggedness, notices the glitter, and dusts some of us off.  If we are serving Him, our lives are the rewards of His hard work:  dying on the cross.  He may have to do some searching and digging to find us, but He knows we’re there.

           Those little rocks have been in my recess jacket pocket now for 5 years and that little boy is growing up.  But the thought of his little dirt covered hand holding those treasures, and the way I felt God speak to me in that moment will stay forever!

“As you come to him, the living stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him…”
1 Peter 2:4  NIV