July 28, 2013

“Almost”

       I was reading about King Agrippa and the sad declaration he made to Paul.  “Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.”  The word ‘almost’ stands out as a sad word.  To me, it means you’ve reached the end, done everything you can do to achieve something or reach something, but you’ve come up short:  you ‘almost’ made it.
        You see King Agrippa had heard about God.  Paul had told him the story about the baby Savior who had been born.  How He had performed miracles and saved Paul.  How Paul had been called to share the good news and how King Agrippa could also have eternal life by accepting Jesus. 
        King Agrippa knew of all these things that Paul talked about.  He knew in his mind that Jesus was a Savior, but his heart wouldn’t soften.  On an average person, there are approximately 18 inches between the head and heart.  In King Agrippa’s case, there was 18 inches between Heaven and Hell.  He chose Hell.
        I’m so glad that we can choose Heaven.  18 inches seems like a short distance…but one day will turn into an eternity.  When it comes our time to go, I hope that we don’t have to repeat the sad, sad declaration that, “Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.”

“Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

Acts 26:28  KJV