December 1, 2013

Thankful for Hands


I read a little story one time about a teacher who asked her kids to draw something they were thankful for.  She said that it was a poor area and even though most of the kids wouldn’t have a Thanksgiving dinner, they still drew a table full of food.  When she was looking at the pictures, she saw one picture that just had a hand on it.  She asked the little guy whose hand he drew, and his reply was that he drew her hand…his teacher’s.  He told her that he loved when she held his hand at recess or walking through the building and he was thankful for her.

I thought about all the hands in my life that I’m thankful for this year.  I’m thankful for my husband’s hands that hold mine.  So much love, understanding and patience he has for me.  I’m thankful for my family’s hands that I can hold.  So much love and support they give.  I’m thankful for the little handprints of my niece and nephew on my TV that I couldn’t make myself wipe away.  So much wonder and joy they have brought to my life.  I’m thankful for the hands of my church family that pat my back when I pray.  I have more confidence and faith in their prayers than they will ever know.  I’m thankful for the little hands I hold each day at school.  They have so much belief in me.  But most importantly, I’m thankful for two nail scarred hands.  Those hands provide grace.  Those hands show mercy.  Those hands give hope.  Those hands are the symbols of unconditional love.

As Thanksgiving has come and gone, I hope you were able to think of all the hands in your life that you are thankful for.

"For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand..."
Isaiah 41:13  KJV