November 24, 2013

Popcorn Parties at Bedtime

        I don’t remember exactly how old I was, but I remember being little and having a bedtime.  I went to bed, but I could hear Mom and Dad still awake.  For some reason, this convinced me that Mom and Dad waited until me and Emily went to bed and had popcorn parties.  I just knew that they would stay up all night watching movies, eating popcorn , having the time of their lives, and I wasn’t happy about it. 
        I confronted my Mom about it, lol.  I asked her why they didn’t go to bed when we had to, and also that I knew their secret.  I can remember my Mom laughing and telling me that they didn’t go to bed because they still had things to do to get prepared for the next day and that they watched over us while we were sleeping.  She assured me that nobody was having popcorn parties without me!  I accepted her explanation, because after all, I knew my mom wouldn’t lie to me.
        I was reading this verse from Psalms, and I thought back to that time.
Psalm 4:8 (NIV)
In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.


        What a comfort this verse is!  I’m so glad that I can lay down and sleep peacefully, knowing He’s still up.  He has things to get done…situations to work out and plans to put in place.  While I am sleeping I know He is up watching over me.  So pull those blankets up a little tighter, and rest well…He’s not out partying…He’s getting things in order just for you.