November 10, 2013

Familiar Voices


John and I were at mom and dad’s helping them convert home movies from VHS to DVD.   While he was showing them how to do it, we were watching one of the tapes.  I had taken my eyes off the TV for a minute and while I was looking away, I heard one of the most familiar sounds I’ve ever heard.  It was a voice that I hadn’t heard in almost 10 years, but I knew exactly who it belonged to.  My papa, who passed away almost 10 years ago, was talking on the tape.  My eyes instantly filled with tears.  You know how you always think you’ll remember forever the sound of someone’s voice, but the truth is, we forget.  I talked to him every day, either at his house or on the phone, but with time, I had forgotten what his voice sounded like.  Hearing it on the tape was so personal.  Just like he was talking directly to me, even though he was just saying something for the camera.

     That made me think of the Lord’s voice.  Some people have said that His voice has been almost, if not, audible to them at times.  I’ve never experienced that, but I have no doubt that one day, when His voice is audible to all, I’ll know it.  Even though I’ve never heard it, I’ll know exactly who it is.  It will be one of the most familiar sounds I’ve ever heard.  I’m listening for that voice.


“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me”

John 10:27 KJV