April 16, 2014

I Wonder What Mary Saw



When they placed the crown of thorns on His head, I wonder if Mary thought about all the times she had ruffled his little boy hair?


When He stumbled and fell under the weight of the cross, I wonder if Mary saw the unsteady steps of a little boy, learning to walk?


When she saw the stripes and bruises on His back, I wonder if she thought about all the little boy hurts she had kissed away?

When He crawled onto the cross, I wonder if Mary saw her baby learning to crawl?


When they nailed His hands, I wonder if Mary saw two chubby little baby hands?


When they took His feet and began to hammer, I wonder if she saw the baby boy feet she once playfully tickled?


When He cried out in pure agony, I wonder if Mary heard the cries of her newborn baby boy?


When she looked at His face, beaten, bloody, and unrecognizable, I wonder if Mary saw her beautiful boy?


When He said, “It is finished”, I wonder if Mary was thinking about the beginning?


When He took His last breath, I wonder if Mary was thinking about His first?


When she looked at His broken body hanging high up on the cross, I wonder if she knew it was for me?