April 1, 2012

Do I Know You?


                Several years ago my sister and I, along with a friend took a vacation to the beach.  We made the 9 hour trip in about 14 hours (before the days of GPS and not one of us could read a map) and spent our days laying on the beach, soaking up the sun, no makeup and no cares in the world.  We met some boys one day while in the ocean (not the best meeting spot, FYI) and hung out with them that day on the beach until we went in to get ready for dinner.  We got changed and lookin pretty good and headed into the elevator where we happened to run into the same boys.  They politely said “hello” back, but it was obvious they didn’t really want to talk.  We were kind of puzzled until one of them took a double look and finally said, “Oh HEY!  We didn’t really recognize you guys with makeup on!”  Apparently, we all 3 look quite different without makeup…kind of like entirely different people!
                That little story not only makes me think about maybe toning down the makeup, but also how I want others to see me spiritually.  I don’t want to put on a Christian ‘look’ or ‘front’ when I am out somewhere and then come home and take it off, only to be someone completely unrecognizable.  I want others to recognize me as a Christian no matter where I am or what I’m doing.  I don’t want them to have to do a double take and think, “oh, she’s a Christian…I couldn’t tell!”  I want to be recognized by His light shining through me in my appearance, my actions, my speech, my friends, every aspect of my life.  Can people recognize you as a Christian no matter where you are?

“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”
Galatians 2:20  KJV