June 17, 2012

A Father’s Love

           Being a preacher’s kid (yes we’ve heard all of the jokes!) you often feel that people hold you to a different standard.  Sort of like, “well if the preacher’s kids are doing it, it must be ok” or “I can’t believe a preacher’s kid would act like that”.  It never really bothered Emily or me because I can remember, even as little girls, Dad telling us that no matter what we did he would never be ashamed of us.  He might not like our choices, but we could always come home and not have to worry about him being ashamed.
            We all make mistakes in life and our walk with the Lord.  I have found that every time I hit my knees, I’m not greeted with shame and disappointment;  it’s love and mercy I have found time and time again.  Wasn’t it the parable of the prodigal son that Jesus used to illustrate His love and grace?  That father surely didn’t like his son’s decisions and the way he was living his life, but when the boy came back, he found nothing short of open arms and unwavering love.  His father didn’t say he was ashamed of him or disappointed (though I’m sure he probably felt it), he simply welcomed him home. 
            I can’t think of a better man than my dad.  To me, he is the epitome of God’s love, compassion, grace, and understanding.  I’m so thankful for a love like he has shown Emily and me.  Because of his demonstration it has been easier for us to accept God’s love.

“I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.  And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.”
Luke 15:18 – 20  KJV