June 10, 2012

I Really Have to Wear that Hat?

        A few years ago I had kidney stones.  I had to go to the hospital for some bloodwork and when I was leaving, the lady at the desk handed me a contraption of some sort.  When she handed it to me, she said, “here is your hat.  Use it every time you pee so you can see if you pass any stones.”  Hmm.  Ok.  Well, I don’t know if it was the blonde roots talking or the pain (I’m sticking with the pain, even though I’m fairly sure it was the roots), but I looked at her with an amazed look and said, “what?!?”  She repeated herself and I continued on to say, “you mean I really have to wear that hat every time I pee??”  The nurse looked at me with an ‘are you kidding me’ kind of look.  So, not one to let things go, I repeated myself, “I have to sit on the toilet wearing this hat?  Why?”  I could not figure out why she was looking at me so strange…surely there were other people out there who had asked why in the world wearing a hat on the toilet would let you know if you passed a kidney stone or not.  I could visibly see the nurse collect her thoughts and very carefully choose her words.  She was eventually composed enough to say, “No, honey, you pee into it…it’s a strainer.”  I didn’t need to say anything else.  I collected my “hat”, thanked the lady, and walked away to the sound of her hilarious laughter. (Only me, LOL!!!)

Sometimes the Lord gives us tasks to do, or different “hats” to wear, if you will.  It might be so far out of our comfort zone, but He has chosen that task specifically for us.  We may feel ill-equipped for the job, or able to point out many others who would do a better job than us, but He didn’t call them to the task, He called you.  Just as I was willing to wear the strainer on my head (granted, I was very confused by the thought? lol), I think sometimes He is putting our willingness to test.  He wants us to accept His call, put on the hat He has given us, and get to work.  Nothing glorifies Him more than a willing spirit.   



“For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.”
Romans 2:13  NIV