January 27, 2013

Held by Jesus

     Several years ago in my classroom, we were using shaving cream to write words on our desks.  It was during “center time” so I would squirt some cream onto their desks and then go work with a different group.  I could hear the conversations when I would put the cream on their desks:  most of the time they talk about what it reminds them of.  Some students were saying it reminded them of “clouds”, “daddy”, etc. 
That day, one particular little girl just breathed a deep breath and said, “It reminds me of Jesus”.  That caught my attention so I tuned in a little closer to their conversation.  The others in the group asked why and her sweet innocent answer was that “his robe is so white and soft and smells so clean.”
I focused my attention back to what I was doing but continued to think about her comment.  You see, I knew her home life…I knew that there was nobody at her house who wanted to pick her up, hold her close, and love on her.  Nobody who cared if her clothes were soft and clean.  Nobody who cared if she smelled clean.  Nobody that is, except Jesus. 
I believe that she knew exactly what His robe looked, felt, and smelled like because even though nobody else cared for this little girl, He would show up and hold her close, letting her know that He cared for her.  He wanted her close.  He loved her. 
As much as it broke my heart to think about, it also gave me so much peace.  When we think nobody is around to care what happens to us, remember, there’s One who does.  When you have those little moments with the Lord, be sure to breathe Him in, feel and smell Him…and you, like that sweet little girl, will know exactly what He’s like. 

“…I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.  Selah.”
Psalm 61:4 NKJV