September 1, 2013

When “Not Enough” is the Perfect Amount

         There are so many times when we get discouraged and feel like we are not enough.  Every relationship and situation in our lives requires a certain amount from us.  Whether it is your job, friendships, marriage, kids, it takes from you.  And when circumstances don’t turn out how we hoped or planned, we self evaluate and think, “it didn’t turn out right because I wasn’t enough.”
          I’m so glad that there is 1 relationship where “not enough” is perfect.  Don’t get me wrong, our relationship with the Lord still requires energy and effort, but when we fall short (and we always do!), He steps in and picks up our slack.  He makes us enough by giving us grace and strength.  
          Think of all the people we read about in the Bible…not many of them were “enough”.  Moses stuttered.  Rahab was a prostitute.  Jonah was a runner.  Esther was an orphan.  Jacob was a liar.  Abraham was old, really old.  And last but not least, Lazarus wasn’t even alive!  None of those things seem “enough” to me, but God never discarded them; He used their shortcomings.  He equipped them and empowered them to do His work.
          I’m so thankful that when I am having the “I’m not enough” pity party, He reminds me that sometimes not enough is the perfect amount to do great things for Him. 

“Our God…we have no power…but our eyes are on You…”

2 Chronicles 20:12  NIV