October 13, 2013

He'll Go First

        I was watching my niece and nephew climb a big tower of hay bales.  There were lots of kids playing on it and they were having a blast.  Lainey is pretty tall and just climbed right up.  Jack, a little younger and smaller could move easily around the first 2 or 3 levels, but after that, it was too steep for him to climb.  He would try to get his leg up there, but he was just too little.  Lainey, seeing that he was having trouble, climbed down and would pick him up (the best way a 5 year old can, lol) and put him up a little higher.  Then she would follow and do it again at the next level until he was at the top having fun.
        On the way down, he would try to slide but still, he was too little.  Lainey came over and said, “Just wait, let sissy go first and I’ll help you.”  She would get down and then turn around and help Jack down.  Then do it all over again.  Watching this, I thought, poor thing has to be tired from all that packing, but she didn’t let it show…she kept right on helping, no matter how many times he wanted up or down.
        I thought about my life and circumstances in it.  How many times there’s been a little hill or mountain I’ve had to climb or come down from, but I came up too short.  I couldn’t do it on my own.  How many times I’ve felt His hand placing me where I needed to be to move up a little higher.  How many times I’ve heard His voice saying, “Just wait, let me go first and I’ll help you.”  It didn’t matter how many other people were climbing, His attention was on me.  It didn't matter how many times He had to do it.  Thank you Lord, for seeing my need and going first, only to turn back and carry me!

“…you saw how the Lord your God carried you, as a father carries his son…”

Deuteronomy 1:31  NIV