October 6, 2013

“Called to the Carpet”

        We “go to the carpet” a lot in my classroom.  We talk there.  We sing there.  We dance there.  We listen there.  I love reading to my kids and they love listening on the carpet.  When I say “come to the carpet” it’s almost a race to see who can get there first and a struggle to get as close as they can to my rocking chair.  Sometimes I have to back them up a bit so they don’t get their fingers smashed, that’s how close.  J  But as they listen, the ones who are closest will sometimes do things like touch my shoe or boot or rub the hem of my pants of skirt.  They aren’t really doing anything, they just like to feel that closeness.
        There’s a song that a group from our church sings, “Look for me at Jesus’ Feet”.  When they sing that song, I think of my kids sitting on the carpet.  It feels like a race down here, but when He “calls me to His carpet” I’ll drop everything in a split second and make my way to His feet.  I plan on getting as close as I can to His throne…He might have to ask me to back up a little.  But I’m gonna sit as close as I can and maybe just run my fingers over two nail scarred feet.  I might take His robe and just rub it in my hand.  Because just like that song says,
“Don’t look ‘neath the gates of pearl.       
Don’t look on the streets of gold. 
Don’t look by the walls of jasper. 
Nor among  the many sights untold. 
For I’ve been longing and I’ve been waiting. 
For the precious Holy one to see. 
There I’ll be through the countless ages. 
Look for me at Jesus’ feet.”

“And stood at His feet behind Him weeping, and began to wash His feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed His feet…”

Luke 7:38  KJV