September 20, 2012

Just a Glimpse

         Do you ever have those days where you get ready and think you look alright?  You know you’re not exactly “workin it” that day, but you don’t really look homeless either.  Well, I had one of those days last week.  I got ready, went to school, started going through my day, all the while forgetting what I looked like.  UNTIL, I was walking my class down the hall and I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the library windows and WHOA!  Was that really me??  Was I really walking around looking like that??  To my disbelief, annoyance, and any other negative emotion you would like to put here, I was!  I had looked in the mirror that morning, but then forgotten about it.
        I thought of the verse from James.  It says, “And, after looking at themselves, go away and immediately forget what they look like.”  (James 1:24 NIV)  I thought about myself before I got saved.  I may not have done some of the things or gotten as far into sin as some others, but I was a sinner still the same.  When I caught my reflection then, I saw a mess.  Then, the Lord cleaned me up and now my reflection is pure and clean.  My reflection never catches me off guard, because even when I’ve forgotten what I look like, when I catch a glimpse, it’s still the same…I look like Amy.  A girl who has been claimed and cleaned up by the only one who can!    
        I know verse 24 goes along with the verses around it and has a completely different meaning and interpretation in its entirety, but in that moment of looking at my reflection, that’s what it meant to me.  And by the way, I grabbed my makeup bag and hairspray and went to work in the bathroom!  lol!