September 27, 2012

When Faith Becomes Sight

         You always hear people in churches talking about how the people you worship with are like your family.  A lot of times, you have a bond with them that’s deeper than family ties.  I am finding out this week how true that actually is.  A dear sweet lady in our church went home to be with Jesus and I am feeling it as if she were a part of my actual family.
        Janice got saved later in life after turning away from the Lord, but when she got back in, she got in!  It was not uncommon for her to stand up and testify and before too long, you would hear the edge in her voice and know that her shout was coming!  Sometimes she would get out and walk the aisles and other times simply raise her hands while tears ran freely down her face.  She had faith like none other.
        She lived her life walking with that faith.  She didn’t care that she might not immediately see her prayers answered or her miracles happen, but that never deterred her:  she never gave up the faith of knowing they would happen in His time.  I went to visit her the day she passed away, unaware that in a few hours she would hear her name called.  While I was there, her daughter told me about how in the middle of the previous night, she put her hands straight up toward the Heavens and clearly, audibly said, “Wow!  This place looks amazing!”  I think that was the moment sweet Janice’s faith turned into sight.  The Lord allowed her a glimpse of everything she had believed in for so long.
        I never want to lose my faith.  I want to be able to leave this world and see what I’ve believed in, what I’ve been striving for, just like Janice.  I pray for myself and you all that we each continue, or even begin, living our lives with the faith that will one day turn into sight.

It’s been nothing short of a blessing and privilege to call you my sister and worship with you down here.  See you on the other side, Janice.

“Therefore, we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord.  For we walk by faith, not by sight.”
2 Corinthians 5:6 - 7  KJV