October 8, 2012

Blood Harmony


    I’ve been told that when Emily and I sing together at church, our voices sound the exact same when we sing the same part. I sing harmony most times and I have found that it’s easier to harmonize with her than anyone else.  That is because of something referred to as blood harmony.  Blood harmony is when immediate family member sing together they reach a level of harmony that is effortless.  It is almost like you are harmonizing with your own voice.  Genetics reveal that immediate family members share the same tone to their voice.  They have the same nature and nurture to the voices which makes it extremely easy to blend into one sound.  No matter the amount of practice, blood harmony can never be mastered unless you are actual blood relatives.

    Blood harmony is also a term that neurologists have adopted to help treat patients who are hanging in the balance…they could go either way:  back into life and consciousness or death.  That’s why they urge family member to use their voices to talk to the patient: try to coax them back into consciousness.  The patient hears the tone and voice and it is like they are hearing their own voice.  It doesn’t always work, of course, but it is one of the most urged forms of treatment for some patients.

    I may share a blood harmony with Emily that makes singing easier, but there is one harmony I have that’s so much more important.  I share a blood harmony with Jesus.  He bought me with His blood a long time ago and now I’m an heir. 

When I was a little girl I heard His voice and it harmonized with something in my heart and He coaxed me to choose life – EVERLASTING life.  It’s easier for me to synchronize my life after Christ than after things of the world.  I want people to hear Him when I talk, see Him in my actions, and feel Him through my doing.  I’m so glad that when I was that little girl I made the most important choice for myself and harmonized my life with His.  It hasn’t always been easy and I’m by far perfect, and made more mistakes than I can count, but my life, blended with Him, has been nothing but beautiful harmony throughout my journey so far.

 

“Fulfill ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

Philippians 2:2 KJV