October 21, 2012

Sitting By a Brook in a Drought

“And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the LORD God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.  And the word of the LORD cam unto him, saying, Get thee hence, and turn thee eastward and hide thyself by the brook of Cherith, that is before Jordan.  And it shall be, that thou shalt drink of the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to feed thee there.  So he went and did according unto the word of the LORD: for he went and dwelt by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan.  And the ravens brought him bread and flesh in the morning, and bread and flesh in the evening; and he drank of the brook.  And it came to pass after a while, that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land.”

I don’t know about you, but I’ve often wondered why the Lord told Elijah that a drought was coming and that He wanted him to go sit by a brook.  I mean, a BROOK??  The Lord could have told Elijah to live be the Jordan since it was so deep.  He could have told him to sit by one of the huge lakes.  But instead, he chose a BROOK?  A puny little stream which would obviously be one of the first bodies of water to dry up in a drought.  And if it didn’t dry up first, would be drank up in a drought!
I’m sure when the Lord told Elijah where He wanted Him to sit; it didn’t look promising for Elijah.  But, the Lord had other plans.  Maybe He wanted to prove to Elijah that even in tough times, He would sustain His children.  Elijah was obedient:  he didn’t question it (out loud, lol) or try to take matters into his own hands, like I may have tried to do…he simply started walking to the brook and sat up camp.  He was waiting on the Lord’s plan to unfold, which it did.
When I am going through tough times and it seems like I won’t survive, I want to trust His plan.  I want to be able to say, “Okay, Lord, you know what you’re what you’re doing” and set up my camp.  Even if my campsite isn’t where I think it should be, and my means of survival seem slim to none, I want the Lord to help me realize that Him and His mercies are all I need for survival and He will sustain me!